This is a list of selected publications by Andy Yee on politics, technology, and Asia.
Academic and Policy Journals
Cutter Business Technology Journal
- Asia’s Payments Revolution, Cutter Business Technology Journal, Vol. 29, No. 11, November 2016, pp.29-31. (PDF)
Internet Policy Review
- Internet architecture and the layers principle: a conceptual framework for regulating Bitcoin, Internet Policy Review, Vol. 3, No. 3, August 2014. DOI: 10.14763/2014.3.289 (PDF)
Journal of Current Chinese Affairs
- Maritime Territorial Disputes in East Asia: A Comparative Analysis of the South China Sea and the East China Sea, Journal of Current Chinese Affairs, Vol. 40, No. 2, July 2011, pp.165-193. (PDF)
- Post-Truth Politics and Fake News in Asia, Global Asia, Vol. 12, No. 2, Summer 2017, pp.66-71. (PDF)
- Digital Asia: An Agenda for Regional Growth and Integration, Global Asia, Vol. 9, No. 2, Summer 2014, pp.54-58. (PDF)
- For the Internet Age, Taiwan’s ICT Industry Needs a New Model, Global Asia, Vol. 8, No. 4, December 2013, pp.66-73. (PDF)
- When Will Japan Tap Its Internet Potential?, Global Asia, Vol. 8, No. 1, March 2013, pp.80-85. (PDF)
- Debate: Is an Asian Community Really Possible? An Asian Community Will Emerge From Existing Structures, Global Asia, Vol. 4, No. 3, September 2009, pp.46-49. (PDF)
Newspapers, Websites and Blogs
- Beyond the US-China Race for Geotechnological Supremacy, AsiaGlobal Online, February 1, 2018.
- The regulation of cryptocurrencies: from disintermediation to reintermediation, Internet Policy Review, January 14, 2015.
- China’s media charm offensive, European Journalism Centre Magazine, April 10, 2011.
- The Cold War Origin of Asia’s Troubled Waters, Asia Sentinel, November 24, 2010.
- Sino-Japan relations: The dangers of tit for tat, South China Morning Post, September 30, 2010. (PDF)
Nikkei Asian Review
- Blockchain can lift Asian trade over gaps in trust, Nikkei Asian Review, July 13, 2017.
- What big data can do for Chinese governance, Nikkei Asian Review, April 5, 2017.
- Asia needs a policy framework to govern AI technology, Nikkei Asian Review, February 15, 2017.
- Japanese companies not yet prepared for next tech wave, Nikkei Asian Review, April 21, 2016. (PDF)
- The need to tame Internet finance in China, Nikkei Asian Review, March 7, 2016.
- Hong Kong, Singapore unlocking their fintech potential, Nikkei Asian Review, November 20, 2015.
- How technology and finance can get along, Nikkei Asian Review, October 13, 2015. (PDF)
East Asia Forum (author profile)
- The twin faces of Japanese nationalism, East Asia Forum, September 25, 2013.
- Technology and culture to drive East Asia’s next digital revolution, East Asia Forum, May 9, 2012.
- International cyber war: limits and possibilities, East Asia Forum, March 14, 2012.
- US deployment of littoral combat ships to Singapore, East Asia Forum, July 21, 2011.
- Autocratic peace and the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, East Asia Forum, May 11, 2011.
openDemocracy (author profile)
- Content creation in the age of the mobile internet, openDemocracy, May 30, 2014.
- The internet and Tolstoy’s vision of history, openDemocracy, November 7, 2012.
- Revolt of the meritocrats, openDemocracy, January 3, 2012.
- Where does the west stand on global freedom of expression?, openDemocracy, March 14, 2011.
- China rising: what would Mackinder do?, openDemocracy, August 6, 2010.
- A brave new world?, openDemocracy, January 5, 2010.
Global Voices Online (author profile)
- How Social Commerce Tightens China’s Grip on the Internet, Global Voices Online, May 22, 2013.
- Taiwan: Democracy with a Confucian Face?, Global Voices Online, July 2, 2012.
- Hong Kong Rethinks its Relationship with Mainland China, Global Voices Online, January 24, 2012.
- China: Writing Imaginary Book Reviews, Global Voices Online, May 22, 2011.
- China: Ran Yunfei’s Blogging for Political Change, Global Voices Online, April 9, 2011.
- China: The coming of age of Political Confucianism?, Global Voices Online, February 5, 2011.
ChinaGeeks (author profile)
- The Tea Drinkers’ Guide, ChinaGeeks, May 10, 2012.
- What Lu Xun can teach us about modern-day China, ChinaGeeks, October 2, 2011.
- Mo Zhixu on the Crackdown of the Southern Media Group, ChinaGeeks, February 18, 2011.
- Stability Preservation in China, ChinaGeeks, April 10, 2010.
Interviews, Coverage and Quotations
- Stan Higgins, Google Analyst: Bitcoin Could Be ‘The Internet of Money’, CoinDesk, September 3, 2014.
- Alan Wheatley, Asian Style, Finance & Development (IMF), June 2014, Vol. 51, No. 2, pp.14-17.
- Tania Branigan, Ai Weiwei hits out at treatment of friends and activists, The Guardian, August 9, 2011.
- VPRO, What does China think?, interview with Tegenlicht, March 25, 2011.
- Dave Itzkoff, China Sees ‘Avatar’ (and Criticizes It, Too), The New York Times, January 11, 2010.